A History of St George’s Church of England School
The original St George's "National School" opened in Ramsgate in 1841. The school was founded to “increase the means of providing a moral and religious education according to the tenets of the established Church in England for the children of both sexes of the poor of the parishes of Ramsgate and St. Laurence and to engraft therein a suitable course of instruction to their station in life”. Initially teaching was provided in separate classes for approximately 130 boys and 150 girls of primary and secondary ages, plus 150 infants.
In September 1967, St George's Girls C of E School moved from Ramsgate to new buildings in Westwood Road, Broadstairs. The St George's Boys C of E School moved to the site in 1973, after the construction of more facilities. By 1975 it was officially a mixed School called St George's Church of England School.
These buildings stood until early 2010 when they were knocked down and a new school building was built next to the site. The School was officially opened on Wednesday 29 September 2010 by The Right Reverend Trevor Willmott, Bishop of Dover. Staff and students had been using the building since the week of St George's Day, April 2010. September 2016 saw the opening of our knew 'Primary Phase' as the school expanded to a 4 to 19 age range.
We have an Old Boys and an Old Girls Association that many former pupils belong to. The Old Boys Association Facebook Page is : www.facebook.com/StGeorgesOldBoysAssociation/