“A broad, stimulating and enjoyable curriculum, that engages, motivates and challenges all pupils, giving them the knowledge, skills and understanding to grow as individuals, preparing them for the next stage in their lives”
In Science, we incorporate the curriculum vision by:
- Teaching a range of topics across the sciences that stretch students’ knowledge, understanding and skills.
- Topics such as fundamentals of Biology, Chemistry and Physics, and investigative skills.
- Encouraging interest and enthusiasm through inquisitive and investigative learning that allows students to take ownership of their own discoveries and draw valid conclusions.
- In Science, a range of learning techniques are implemented to make the subject enjoyable and accessible for all students, e.g. research based inquiry, experimental and practical work as well as field studies.
- Developing an understanding and awareness of how real life situations and current affairs are linked to an understanding and appreciation for science such as health and disease, climate change and global warming, intensive cattle farming and technological advances.
- Making links between the different topics in Science and the potential careers that can stem from an interest in those topic.
- Learning about future pathways after GCSE or Applied Science and the wide range of careers that a qualification in science can offer.
- Strengthening students’ examination skills by practising a wide range of revision skills and strategies throughout the course.
Pupils in years 9 to 11 will have a worksheet given to them by the teacher or work set online.
GCSE homework is set online at https://www.pearsonactivelearn.com Pupils are provided with a user name and password by their class teacher.
Check the Curriculum Year information for the homework timetable.
|Year 7||Click Here|
|Year 8||Click Here|
|Year 9||Click Here|
|Year 10||Click Here|
|Year 11||Click Here|
|Sixth Form||Click Here|
GCSE Subject information - KS4
Year 9, 10 and 11 will be doing one GCSE science per year. GCSE exams are taken at the end of each year
Each science subject has 2 papers, each 1 hour 45 mins in length. There is no coursework in any Science GCSE.
Subjects covered in this course -
- Key Concepts in Biology (paper 1 and 2)
- Cells and Control (paper 1)
- Genetics (paper 1)
- Natural selection and genetic modification (paper 1)
- Health (paper 1)
- Health, disease and the development of medicines (paper 1)
- Plant structures and functions (paper 2)
- Animal coordination control and homeostasis (paper 2)
- Exchange and transport in animals ( paper 2)
- Ecosystems and cycles (paper 2)
GCSE Revision Information - KS4
|General Information (Useful for Parents)|
Useful Links - see school Sharepoint, plus links below
|Paper 1||Paper 2|
Personal Learning Checklist
Personal Learning Checklist
Sharepoint = Click Here
|Key Word Booklets|
|Mock Exam Papers|
These are mock papers that students have previously completed.