“A broad, stimulating and enjoyable curriculum, that engages, motivates and challenges all pupils, giving them the knowledge, skills and understanding to grow as individuals, preparing them for the next stage in their lives”
In Science, we incorporate the curriculum vision by:
- Teaching a range of topics across the sciences that stretch students’ knowledge, understanding and skills.
- Topics such as fundamentals of Biology, Chemistry and Physics, and investigative skills.
- Encouraging interest and enthusiasm through inquisitive and investigative learning that allows students to take ownership of their own discoveries and draw valid conclusions.
- In Science, a range of learning techniques are implemented to make the subject enjoyable and accessible for all students, e.g. research based inquiry, experimental and practical work as well as field studies.
- Developing an understanding and awareness of how real life situations and current affairs are linked to an understanding and appreciation for science such as health and disease, climate change and global warming, intensive cattle farming and technological advances.
- Making links between the different topics in Science and the potential careers that can stem from an interest in those topic.
- Learning about future pathways after GCSE or Applied Science and the wide range of careers that a qualification in science can offer.
- Strengthening students’ examination skills by practising a wide range of revision skills and strategies throughout the course.
Pupils in years 9 to 11 will have a worksheet given to them by the teacher or work set online.
GCSE homework is set online at https://www.pearsonactivelearn.com Pupils are provided with a user name and password by their class teacher.
Check the Curriculum Year information for the homework timetable.
|Year 7||Click Here|
|Year 8||Click Here|
|Year 9||Click Here|
|Year 10||Click Here|
|Year 11||Click Here|
|Sixth Form||Click Here|
GCSE Subject information - KS4
Year 9, 10 and 11 will be doing 1 science per year.
Each science subject has 2 papers, each 1 hour 45 mins in length. There is no coursework in any Science GCSE.
Subjects covered in this course -
- Motion and Forces
- Conservation of Energy
- Light and the Electromagnetic Spectrum
- Energy- Forces Doing Work
- Forces and their Effects
- Electricity and Circuits
- Static Electricity
- Magnetism and the motor effect
- Electromagnetic induction
- Particles Model
- Forces and Matter
GCSE Revision Information - KS4
General Information (Useful Information for Parents)
Useful Links - see the school Sharepoint, plus links below :
|Science for online home learning||www.pearsonactivelearn.com||There are many links below, and a large number of downloadable files|
|BBC Bitesize||https://www.bbc.com/education/examspecs/zqpshv4||useful revision pages with exercises, quizzes and more|
|Youtube Channel - Primrose Kitten||
Paper 1 - here
Paper 2 - here
|Another useful youtube channel is Primrose Kitten, who does the Edexcel course|
|Paper 1||Paper 2|
|Personal Learning Checklist||Personal Learning Checklist|
|Example Exam Questions/Model Answers||Example Exam Questions/Model Answers|
Free Science Revision Lessons - YouTube
Pupils must log in with their username as their usual computer login followed by @st-georgescofe-thanet.kent.sch.uk (e.g. JSmith123@st-georgescofe-thanet.kent.sch.uk) and their usual password they use to log on to school laptops