Free School Meals
As well as ensuring that you receive the benefit to which you are entitled, the school’s income is also determined to a significant degree by the number of pupils claiming Free School Meals. It is, therefore, beneficial to the whole school community as well as to the individual families concerned if the entitlement is taken up.
Your child might be able to get free school meals, if you get any of the following:
- Universal Credit - if you apply on or after 1 April 2018 your household income must be less than £7,400 a year (after tax and not including any benefits you get)
- Income Support
- Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- The guaranteed element of Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit (provided you’re not also entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190)
- Working Tax Credit run-on - paid for 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
Currently pupils in Reception, Years 1 and 2 are entitled to a free school meal, through a different scheme known as Universal Infant Free School Meals, this is not the same as a free school meal. If your child is in Reception, Year 1 or 2 and is eligible for a free school meal, according to the criteria above, you should still register because the school will receive extra funding. This is also applicable for Secondary pupils, if you are in receipt of any of the above, it benefits the school for you to make the application for free school meals for your child.
You can apply for your child’s free school meals online at
Your eligibility will be checked and your application processed straight away. If your application is successful the school will be notified by email immediately and your child should start receiving their free school meal within 24 hours.
Children who get any of the above benefits in their own right (i.e. they get benefits payments directly, instead of through a parent/guardian) can also get free school meals.