Get Help With Technology
The government has announced a scheme which temporarily increases data allowances for mobile phone users on certain networks. This is so that children and young people can access remote education if their face-to-face education is disrupted.
There are restictions of who can apply for this. The school can request mobile data increases for children and young people who:
- do not have fixed broadband at home
- cannot afford additional data for their devices
- are experiencing disruption to their face-to-face education.
If you do not have home broadband and have to use mobile data for learning, then you can fill in a form here :
The government website also lists the mobile phone companies which this is applicable for which are :
- Virgin Mobile
- Tesco Mobile
- Sky Mobile
We understand that O2 and Vodaphone may be added to this, but they are not yet listed on the website, which can be found here : https://get-help-with-tech.education.gov.uk/about-increasing-mobile-data
Once forms are filled in, each Friday we will email the information gathered to the DfE and they will then use the information to request more data. Please be aware that mobile phone companies may take some time to respond, and some have set limits for how many people they will offer this to.
We can also request 4G data dongles if :
- the extra data for mobile devices option is not suitable
- there’s more than one child in the household who needs to learn remotely
- a mobile phone or tablet (tethered or not) is not regularly available for the child’s use
- frequent phone calls to the mobile phone being used tend to interrupt school work
- the child is likely to access the internet without supervision.
If this is the case, please contact our admin email address and we will forward this request.
IMPORTANT : please read how Privacy Information will be dealt with https://get-help-with-tech.education.gov.uk/increasing-mobile-data/privacy-notice